Saturday, December 27, 2008

RV Microwave Review - Travel Trailer RV Microwave Fire


Samsung RV Microwave model MR5492W



We alomst lost our 2001 Coleman Travel Trailer RV Camper over christmas vacation to a microwave fire. For some silly reason we keep a roll of paper towels inside the microwave (since it rarely gets used, the microwave is like a kitchen cabinet to us). The RV was plugged into the house and a couple days later we went inside and smelled a burnt electrical or plastic stink. Upon further inspection, the paper towel roll had completely burst into flames and melted the inside of the microwave. We are very lucky the fire never breached the microwave, because we could have lost our entire RV to fire or even worse our house (because the RV is parked next to the house)!

There must have been a power surge or something because the microwave was not turned on by us or anybody else. The microwave fire was in a Samsung model MR5492W. I hope this manufacturer isn't responisble for a defective product!
_________
11/29/09 - UPDATE: the microwave used in the RV was recalled by the manufacturer. The recall states that the control panel may self start causing fire! "AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CAN OCCUR CAUSING THE OVEN TO ACTIVATE WITHOUT PRESSING ANY KEY PADS. THIS COULD RESULT IN EXCESSIVE HEAT, SMOKE, OR POSSIBLY A FIRE." Well that sound familiar. We used the phone number in the recall to get a check for $200 to replace ours. CONTACT SAMSUNG SERVICE DIVISION HEADQUARTERS AT 800-932-3837.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Hey mate.. we have the same microwave in the same camper... I found out that it has a recall on the keypad where it would randomly turn on. Its a recall they sent out about 5 years ago. Give them a call and see what they can do for you. They couldn't find a service center near us so is sending us $200 to replace it.

Anonymous said...

We have a Samsung MR1031WB microwave and I couldnt figure out why it wasnt working very well. then the other day I was sitting in the camper and it automatically self started. None of the buttons would turn it off. Only opening the door turned it off. I am very luck we don't store anything in the microwave although we have been known to leave papertowels in there...

Anonymous said...

They're still burning up! I just removed my Samsung MR 5491G from this older 18' toy hauler I purchased this spring from a daughter. Took one trip, parked it, plugged in a power cord and started working on mainly outside issues. I wouldn't go inside for days, when one day I did and smelled this burnt electrical smell. Long story short, yesterday I'm checking all cabinets for perishables before storing it for the winter and just so happened to open the microwave door and find a pretty alarming sight....the ashes and melted remains of a plastic container that had several plastic spice bottles stored. The inside of the door window was even melted. This unit is black and normally I don't have the lights turned on, so, I didn't notice how smoked-up the door was or the soot stain on the ceiling. The wife, nor I, have ever turned this microwave on!!! So, yes, our microwave did come-on by itself,
I wish to Thank those that have posted their experiences with these microwaves and that phone number, which I'll be seeing if it still works today. We mainly dry-dock camp anyway, so, the hole this came out of I'm going to add some shelving and doors. But, I'm still calling the company to make a report about this deal.
Again, Thank You all for sharing.